Main My profile Sign Up Log out Login

Friday
10:20 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS LoginSign UpMain
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Coruscant_Journal, Chancellors_News  
Star Wars: Legends » News and Communications » Latest News » Eriadu Considers "Nullifcation" of Jedi Law
Eriadu Considers "Nullifcation" of Jedi Law
Coruscant_JournalDate: Thursday, 02 January 14, 2:15 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Moderators
Awards: 0

Eriadu Considers "Nullification" of Jedi Law

Eriadu City — A convention has been convened on Eriadu to consider whether to 'nullify' a Republic law that permits the Jedi to assume custody of Force-sensitive children with or without parental consent. The proposed 'Ordinance of Nullification' would declare the Ruusan era law "null and void" on Eriadu, take steps to "prevent the enforcement" of the law, require public officials on Eriadu to swear to uphold the Ordinance of Nullification, and outlaw any appeal of the Ordinance to Republic courts. Legal analysts have described the proposed Ordinance as "openly rebellious," and Supreme Chancellor Pryce has referred to the "imminent collapse of law and order in the Seswenna Sector."

"[T]he people of [Eriadu] have been induced to seriously consider a measure that could embroil [the Seswenna Sector] in war," Pryce remarked to the Senate. "I want to preserve law and order in the Republic," the Chancellor said, having ordered the Invincible-class dreadnaught Jephtha Tarkin to the Seswenna Sector, declaring that "no world is above the law," and "the law will be enforced on Eriadu." He also proposed a commission to re-consider the Jedi 'child appropriation' law, saying "I don't agree with this practice myself, and I have made my disagreement known to the Jedi Order in recent days."

"I want the people of Eriadu to know that this Senate shares their concerns and will take action to address those concerns within the current framework of the law, so that the "nullification" of laws is not perceived as necessary," Pryce said.

The Jedi 'child appropriation' law dates back to the Ruusan Reformations, enacted at the conclusion of the New Sith Wars of nearly 1,000 years ago. The original purpose of the law was to ensure that Force-sensitive children would be indoctrinated in the Jedi codes and customs at an early age to prevent defections from the Jedi Order. Supporters of the law point out that there have been few 'Rogue' or 'Dark' Jedi in the past thousand years, and that the Jedi rarely, if ever take a child in this day and age without parental consent.

"Frankly, I'm not sure I agree with doing it against the consent of parents," said Jedi Master Kadek, a speaker at the Eriadu convention, "In my twenty years as Watchman on Sullust and Sulon I've referred nine children for appropriation... all of them were with their parents' consent." It wasn't clear, however, whether Master Kadek was speaking for the Jedi Order or simply for himself; Master Tching, the Master of the Order and spokesman for the Jedi Council, did not return The Coruscant Journal's requests for comment.

Eriadu's proposed Ordinance of Nullification, however, insists that the 'child appropriation' law "breaches the principles of the Galactic Constitution, the founding document of the Galactic Republic," and should not be enforced on Eriadu. It is the first time that a world has attempted to 'nullify' a Republic law in nearly 200 years, since the planet Callonia declared the Tariff of Year 726 null and void. Then, as in many previous cases, Republic courts held that 'nullification' was not a valid legal concept.

For now, the drama is on hold as the convention in Eriadu City has adjourned for Life Day festivities. It is expected to re-convene in the coming days.

Star Wars: Legends » News and Communications » Latest News » Eriadu Considers "Nullifcation" of Jedi Law
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz