Main My profile Sign Up Log out Login

Friday
7:55 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS LoginSign UpMain
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Coruscant_Journal, Chancellors_News  
Star Wars: Legends » News and Communications » Latest News » Race Tightens as Pryce, Lekpin Withdraw
Race Tightens as Pryce, Lekpin Withdraw
Coruscant_JournalDate: Friday, 25 April 14, 0:27 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Moderators
Awards: 0

Race Tightens as Pryce, Lekpin Withdraw

Senate Rotunda, Coruscant — The race for Supreme Chancellor has tightened as Chancellor Jaso Pryce and Roman Lekpin have withdrawn their candidacies, leaving a close, two-way race between Luneray Kruus (Humbarine Sector) and Zaizhi Kongming (Duro Sector) just one day before voting begins.

Mr. Kruus, who enjoys the support of the Trade Federation and the "Diversity" bloc of non-Human senators, has held a narrow lead over Senator Lekpin (Lorrd) for most of the campaign in most opinion polls, with Mr. Kongming a distant third. But Mr. Lekpin's unexpected withdrawal from the the race amid allegations of hypocrisy has catapulted Kongming into second place.

"I have decided to drop out of the running and support Senator Kongming," Mr. Lekpin announced to the Senate, "I urge my supporters to do the same." On the same day, an incriminating letter from Mr. Lekpin to the slave-holding aristocracy of the Senex Sector was obtained by The Coruscant Journal, in which Lekpin, who has campaigned against slavery, wrote "there may not be an [alternative]" to slavery in the Senex Sector.

Chancellor Pryce (Metellos), increasingly unpopular and under investigation for bribery and money laundering, had earlier dropped his re-election bid. "This... politically-motivated Dathomir witch hunt [has] diminished me in the court of public opinion, though in no court of law," Mr. Pryce told the Senate, "These personal attacks on me, my staff, and my family would only intensify in the heat of a re-election campaign... Therefore, I am formally announcing my withdrawal."

Voting in the Senate, which begins tomorrow, is expected to be close. But most estimates, and odds-makers on Vorzyd V, give a slight advantage to Senator Kruus, the current Minister of Economics who has campaigned on the "perpetuation of peace, production, and prosperity for the Republic." Senator Kongming, the Chairbeing of the Senate Judiciary Committee and former Admiral of the Judicial Forces, has campaigned on "direct democracy," limiting corporate influence in the Senate, and increased funding for law enforcement agencies.

Mr. Kruus was nominated for Chancellor by Senator Finbar (Mon Calamari), the leader of the "Diversity" bloc of non-Human senators. "Luneray Kruus will bring compassion, energy, and much-needed integrity to the office of the Supreme Chancellor," Mr. Finbar said. "He is truly a being of integrity who, with broad-based support in the Senate, can repair the damage done to the prestige of the Chancellor's office and restore the moral authority of this Republic."

Senator Terrawin (Alsakan) originally nominated Mr. Kongming, remarking that "the Senator's strong anti-private sector and pro-union lines are what I believe in most from him. A government by the people, for the people under Senator Kongming is what I propose." Mr. Terrawin has since threatened to withdraw his nomination amid disagreements with Kongming over the re-instatement of the Republic Army and Mr. Lekpin's support for Kongming's candidacy, in light of the allegations against Lekpin.

Stay with The Coruscant Journal's Election Year 908 "Year of Decision" coverage of the election as voting begins tomorrow.

Star Wars: Legends » News and Communications » Latest News » Race Tightens as Pryce, Lekpin Withdraw
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz